Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Saga Begins

In preparation for the first day of Art Is... class with 6th grade, I took some time to think about the some of the changes that have happened since I was in 6th grade.  In 6th grade, I was drawing comics in class. In 1972, Richard Nixon went to China and Sports Illustrated named Billie Jean King their first "Sportswoman of the Year".  

When I was in 6th grade, we were playing....


When these 6th graders were born, the Xbox marked the spot...





On the opening professional development day with the teachers, we started out with a song from 1972.


Last night, I took a good look at photos of the current 6th graders Kindergarten class — photos from way back in 2007. It was like being about to fast forward time.  Traveling warp speed. 

Such little faces, hands, and feet.  
Yet, I could see a hint of the grown kids here today in their body language, in their eyes.
Still, who knows what the future holds for each one?

Revving up the pod racer... cue the song.  

The saga begins!


Oh my my this here Anakin guy
May be Vader someday later - now he's just a small fry
And he left his home and kissed his mommy goodbye
Sayin' "Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"
"Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"



 


No comments:

Post a Comment